Sunday, November 30, 2008

Paper Cuts and Pie

This is my index finger and that is a paper cut. I KNOW! Only I would find a way to gash my finger on paper. It happened at work on Wednesday. It actually drew a lot of blood and hampered using a mouse for a while. It's better now, but a cut on the right index finger is the worst place. Everything you touch stings it. Especially lemons as I got a craving for lemon meringue pie tonight.

Can I just give an ode to making lemon meringue pie? It's my favorite pie. Pie making is my thing. I normally get rave reviews for my pies, especially on the ones I don't even like myself like apple and pumpkin. But back to lemon. To make a wonderful lemon meringue pie, one must be a vigilant stirrer. I stir and stir a pale yellow soup eagerly waiting for it to thicken. It's 15-20 minutes of constant stirring and wondering if it will thicken or not. I go through the recipe making sure I added each ingredient correctly. All the sudden, it turns from a pale yellow soup to a sunshine yellow, thick, perfect pie filling. It's the same with the meringue. The egg whites are beat and beaten until they become a fluffy white sugary goodness. I know I'm showing more of my nerdiness, but I think that's one of the coolest things about cooking, the remarkable transformations into beautiful and delicious creations. I just love the tartness of the lemon with the sweetness of meringue, what a perfect combination! Now for some delicious pie!

I couldn't wait for it to finish cooling so it hadn't completely set, but still tasted divine.


2 comments:

Jen said...

Lemon meringues is one of my fave pies! My problem is the crust...it always comes out too hard! Yours looks delicious! Sorry about the paper cut, but I bet the pain was worth the pie!

Gina & Nate said...

I found I found you!!! This is you stalker speaking...I recall that day when you gashed that index finger.