Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What To Think?

I've made no secret of my political views and who I wanted to win this election. I was honestly surprised by the results. The reporting and images literally brought tears to my eyes. And they had nothing to do with joy and jubilation. Honestly, I just didn't get that part of it, the euphoria and adulation over such a man as Barack Hussein Obama. I've been pondering over the matter all day trying to figure out the best way to verbalize how I feel. I've read and listened to a lot of other people's reactions so here is mine.


As I was driving home, I realized that life has imitated art once again. I feel like I am that kid in the story of The Emperor's New Clothes (Here is a link to the story: http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Emperors-New-Clothes.htm ). I honestly believed that the majority of Americans would see that Obama wasn't wearing anything like what we've been told. Obama has described himself as a blank slate on which people project what they want him to be. I whole-heartedly believe this is what happened and why he won. There is no human way for Obama to be and do everything that he has promised. The majority of Americans are so caught up with what we've been told to see, few have actually looked for themselves to see that the promised magnificence isn't actually there. What I've seen when I looked was chilling. As I watched and listened to events unfold yesterday, I just kept wanting to shout, but he's not wearing anything at all! But it has been determined that anyone who would say that is stupid, intolerant, and possibly racist. I actually have said it to some Obama supporters and the only reply I get, "It's a change!" That it is!

I can't decide if Obama is more the Emperor, the Swindlers, or a combination of both. I doubt he is aware that he's actually naked. I get the impression that he's as enamored with the illusion as everyone else who's been promoting it. I think Obama and Liberals in general are so much like the Swindlers in the story. They demand more and more money promising that the cloth they weave will be best ever seen. Instead, money and resources are squandered while producing nothing and in most cases, creating a bigger mess. The Liberal philosophy demands more and more money for government programs, that money and government will fix it all. It certainly sounds good, but what do we see with our eyes when we look at the welfare system, the education system, government medicine (think veteran hospitals!), etc? Americans have been swindled over and over again.

I concede that I could be completely wrong about Obama. I'm open to the possibility that I can't see the magnificence of Obama because I'm stupid. May he prove me wrong and live up the greatness already attributed to him for doing nothing! May all of my fears about him be unfounded! I would love for the oceans to begin receding, for peace to occur thoughout the world as simply through diplomacy, for America to become beloved by her enemies, for every American be as prosperous as they desire, to be no longer using oil in 10 years....the list goes on. To accomplish one of those things would be remarkable, to accomplish all that he's promised would be miraculous! Obama has everything in his favor to accomplish all that he's promised, a fawning media and a majority in Congress. Who will be blamed if he doesn't deliver on his promises? Will a majority of Americans be able to acknowledge they were duped and make amends or persist in the illusion? I'm honestly interested to see how events unfold under an Obama presidency. Dare I ask, what's the worst that can happen in 4 years?

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well said.

It can certainly get worse in 4 years. Then again, we may all be surprised.

Kate said...

Great post! I totally agree. Ya know, Liberals & the Media have been groaning and complaining for the past 8 years with a Republican President. They scream that things could be so much better if we just had a Democrat in office. Well, with Democrats holding the majority in Congress and with an upcoming Democrat President, things should be pretty perfect from here on out...right? We'll see about that. ;)

Dave said...

well said trish.

My main admonition is for everyone to please pray for the health of all Supreme Court Justices, because appointing a justice is the most lasting legacy of a president, and Obama could certainly do some harm there.

Trish said...

Believe me, I'm praying about that, Dave. It's thought that Ginsburg and Souter will be most likely to retire. If it were those 2 or any of the liberals on the court, whoever Obama put on wouldn't matter too much. We'd be in trouble only if we lost any of the constructionists

stacey said...

i agree too! i know alot of the obama supporters had NEVER voted before and didn't know anything about an actual political issue, they just saw obama, who and what he is and voted for him. i am interested to see what will happen too. i think *if* he is not the savior he was built up to be it will only be blamed on bush and obama just couldn't do anything because bush "made such a mess". IT WILL NEVER BE HIS FAULT IF ALL ISN'T FIXED. yikes. i think alot of people are in for a rude awakening!