Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Squawk and a Waddle

About a week ago, I took Gabby to a Halloween store to pick out a costume. She had been going back and forth between being Cinderella or a monster. We get to the store and they didn't really have that much in the way of kid costumes. I was just telling Gabby we would go to a different store when her eyes fell on the penguin costume. "Wow, Mommy, look a penguin costume! It's PERFECT," says Gabby. I was doubtful and asked her over and over again if she was sure that was what she wanted to be. Gabby put on the costume as soon as we got home. She didn't seem to like it and took it off right away. So I was hopeful she would want to wear the darling tutu I'd made her come Halloween. Halloween morning came and Gabby couldn't have been more excited to be a penguin!
She wore her costume to school.

Gabby just has a sense as to what will make her stand out! She wore the costume the entire day without any complaint. Her teachers were actually a bit surprised that she did show up as a penguin. They kind of thought she was making it up.

Me and my Penguin. Yes, I'm completely dull and didn't dress up.


David the Football Player and Gabby the Penguin. What a pair!


David and Jenny's costumes speak for themselves! I made pumpkin soup for dinner, what else would you have on Halloween? We had a lot of fun trick or treating. Gabby's costume drew a lot of comments. It still cracks me up! Of all the things to choose to be, a penguin. Man, I love my little girl!




I didn't get it on video, but at most doors, Gabby would knock and say, "Trick or treat, give me something good to eat! I want candy!" So in addition to not being afraid to stand out, she's not afraid to tell you what she wants either! I think it was more entertaining when we went back home and started handing out candy to trick or treaters. Gabby was really into that. She'd offer comments and compliments and was much more generous with the candy than I was. She's a little disappointed that no one is knocking at our door today. She was really in her element.

Gabby knew what it took to be a penguin.

3 comments:

jennifer rogers said...

wow...i've never laughed so hard in my entire life! I love gabby's costume...only your child would pick out a penguin costume!! LOVE IT!!

Jen T. said...

That was a classic costume. Only Gabby!! She is a goofball. My favorite though was her "Give me CANDY." Gabe would have had a good laugh about that I think. Good times!

KathiG said...

Hey, Trish, just blog-stalking. Hope you don't mind my visiting and adding you to my list. I can send you an invite to mine if you want. Email me: krgeorge@uark.edu