Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Quirks That Make Gabby, Gabby


Gabby is definitely her own person. She's truly one of a kind. On Saturday, she found this sweater of mine in a box full of clothes I haven't figured out where to put. Normally when we're home, she strips down to her undies (she calls it wearing her body or being nakey) and refuses any form of clothing. She's in love with this sweater and insisted wearing it all day. We spent the day with my friend Lynn in Provo and her kids. I put jeans on her, but she stayed in that sweater all day, even at McDonalds playland. It's the only thing she'll wear at home.

Gabby has her own eating style. First off, she's the only kid I've ever known to only eat the crust off the bread and throw the middle out. That's how she eats all her food, though. She nibbles around it in a circle until it's gone.

I've explained about her obsession with my hair, but her obsession seems to only be increasing. She insists on holding my hair to drink her juice. I have to lay "backwards" or facing away from her. She will not begin drinking until she has just the right amount of hair in her hand. She has to be close enough to me to be able to rub my hair on her face. I am never allowed to touch her hair. She even holds my hair while I drive, which is a bit awkward with as short as my hair is. She also gets upset if I have my hair in a ponytail and insists that I take it out.

Gabby does not like me to sing at all. Granted, I don't have much of a voice, but she gets angry whenever I try to sing to her.

She hates it when I drive faster than 45 mph. She yells at me to slow down and that she doesn't want to go fast. She always screams the first few minutes we're on the freeway.

Gabby prefers for me to color and provide direction than actually coloring herself. She picks out the color and tells me what to color. She loves to color at school, but with me, she likes to be the director of coloring.

She is an expert at making scrambled eggs. It's her favorite meal and we make it a lot. She directs me in this and recites the exact order the ingredients must go into the pan. She holds her big wooden spoon and stirs it. She adds the salt and pepper and the cheese at the end.
I forgot one of Gabby's most unique quirks! She sleeps with her eyes open. They're usually half open, but it's enough to be unsure whether she's actually asleep or not. This is actually a quirk we share, though I don't think my eyes are open as often as hers are. I'm more known for sleeping with one eye open ;)

Gabby has so many unique qualities, these are just a few. I laugh at her all the time. Our first Sunday in our new ward, Gabby decided to shout, "I got bugars in my tummy, so yummy!" It was pretty funny and thankfully, I don't think anyone caught what she said. She also likes to shout that she has baby in her tummy in order to be like Aunt Jenny and Aunt Pam. As difficult as she can be, she knows just when I need a hug or to hear an I love you from her. I wouldn't trade being her mom for anything.

0 comments: