Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Tale of the Lost Tail

Gabby has been asking for a new pet, but has specifically excluded further fish. I've been giving her chores lately and told her she would have to earn her pet. I specified something small. Our good friends, the Nevers, have 2 gerbils. Gabby fell in love with them when we were last there. She's had her heart set on getting a gerbil. She's done well with her chores. Her chores range from putting her dirty clothes in the hamper, being polite, acknowledging that I am the boss, dusting, and picking up her toys and books.
I decided today would be a good day to get Gabby her new pet. Her sweet prayers for gerbils pushed me over my reservations. We had hamsters growing up for a few years. Twinkie lasted for at least a year, maybe two. I don't really like rodents now and it's hard to remember why I liked them so much when I was young. I can only think vermin. So Gabby and I went to Petsmart, picked out a cage, food and two gerbils. They're both female. Sunny is the white one and Michael is the gray one. Gabby chose both names. She has been thrilled with her new pets. David and Madison came over to meet Sunny and Michaela and were just as impressed.


I gave Gabby one rule for her gerbils, that she never takes them out of the cage unless I'm there. I thought I was clear enough with her and that she understood. We moved the cage to her room after Maddy and David left. I was downstairs when I heard blood-curdling screams coming from Gabby. I assumed that she'd gotten a gerbil out and he escaped. I come into Gabby's room and she's screaming, "Gerbil, gerbil, come back. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry!" Michael had escaped. I wasn't too worried about capturing her, she actually was trying to get back in the cage. Then Gabby wailed, "Mommy, I broke her tail. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to break her tail."

With great trepidation, I look at Michael's tail and sure enough, about half of it was gone. My stomach lurched in revulsion as I saw the other half of her tail on the floor. My initial instinct was to was to run screaming and crying from the room and let Gabby deal with her own mess. I didn't think I signed up for cleaning up broken off gerbil tails when I bought them. Their tails grossed me out attached to their bodies. I took a deep breath, remembered that I was on my own and couldn't imagine who I could call to pick a gerbil tail off the floor. That kind of phone call would be more awkward than the actual act. I also don't want to pass my revulsion and squeamishness to Gabby and she was hysterical enough without me adding to it. I put on a brave face and I grabbed Michael and shoved her as delicately as I could back in the cage. I swear Michael gave a great sigh of relief to have a barrier between her and Gabby.

I grabbed the tail off the floor and summoned all of my will power to not scream as I ran it to the trash. I decided to just grab it with my bare hands before I had time to think much about it and lose my nerve. I scrubbed my hands, but the utter revulsion wouldn't be washed away with soap and water. I finally turned to my hysterical child who had not ceased her lamentations or apologies throughout my ordeal.
"Gabby, why did you take Michael out of the cage and how did you break her tail?" Unfortunately, my tone was too harsh and she cried even harder. She finally managed to reply, "It was an accident. I love Michael so much. I didn't want to hurt her and now I broke my pet!" The wailing recommenced at an even louder level. It was one of those moments as a mother that tears your heart in two. Part of me was angry and upset that she'd broken the one rule in less than 10 minutes. That part was also completely incredulous of just how she broke the tail. The other part only wanted to comfort and soothe especially as one myself who is so accident-prone. I decided to make sure that she understood first that I had made the rule for a reason of which she now had ample appreciation.
I didn't press the point too much as it was clear Gabby's heart was just as broken as the tail was. I began comforting her and showing her that Michael seemed to be alright. Poor Michael. She was actually cowering in the corner of the cage in complete gerbil shock. I hoped her memory would be as short as her tail now was. Gabby was difficult to soothe. As soon as I thought she was coming round, she'd repeat, "I broke Michael's tail. I am so, so sorry I broke my pet!" She eventually cried herself to sleep.

The bloody nub of tail Gabby left for Michael. She still hasn't been able to tell me just how she broke it. I surmise that she was holding her and knew she was breaking the rule. Either when Michael was trying to escape or when Gabby was trying to capture Michael, her adrenaline kicked in and she just pulled too hard. I suppose it could happen to anyone. I take that back, this could only happen to me and Gabby. I've never heard of a little girl breaking a gerbil tail off. Lizards, yes. Gerbils, no. That's how the lady at the store got them out of the cage, she picked them up by the tail. Seriously, who would have thought? I'm also at the point to really laugh about it. I just have to gag a bit first.


The other half of the tail is there on the right. That's not a small bit of tail. Poor Gabby. Imagine the horror she felt to only have half a tail between her fingers and her gerbil escaped!


Sunny and Michael before the Horror.

4 comments:

gwen said...

I am laughing so hard. Poor, poor Gabby! (and Michael!) I can't imagine anything more disgusting than having to pick up a bloody gerbil tail....hilarious

Melissa said...

Oh!!! I think you did very well. I am almost positive I wouldn't be able to overcome my own horror to soothe my child--at least not immediately.
Poor Gabby! I hope she forgets this incident. Yuck!
I'll bet she learned her lesson though! Yuck.

Danielle said...

I'm sure that is a story you will be telling her children! Hilarious!

Jen said...

Oh my! That is such a sad-sad story! I bet Gabby was horrified over the whole thing and I'm glad the gerbil ended up being okay. Such hard lessons to learn at a young age.