Thursday, June 18, 2009

From the Mouth of Babes

Being a single mother can be overwhelming at times. Let's face it, being a mother at all is overwhelming. For me, it's a crazy juggling act trying to do and take care of it all and some days some of those balls get dropped for various reasons. I don't always feel like I'm doing the best job with Gabby and I especially worry about helping her develop a love and faith for Christ and his gospel. It's so hard to know if anything you do is actually hitting its mark and leaving an impression. And then suddenly, your child lets you know she's paying attention.



Our stake president spoke at church on Sunday. At the start of his talk, I had asked Gabby to color a picture mostly to get her off my lap and to give me a chance to focus on the speaker. Gabby seemed wholly engrossed with her picture and I was able to give my full attention to the stake president. Gabby had her back to the pulpit and was using the pew as a desk. President Linnell spoke about the recent and sudden death of his brother-in-law and the comfort that Christ, the plan of salvation, and temple brought to his sister and all of their family. It was a powerful message and testimony.



Just as he was ending his talk, Gabby turned around and looked at President Linnell and with a most disappointed tone exclaimed, "Ohhhhhhhh!" She turned back and buried her face in her hands. I asked her what was wrong. Gabby replied, "I thought that was Jesus speaking and I really wanted it to be him so I could see him. Mommy, is that what Jesus' voice would sound like?"



I was so stunned. And overwhelmed. I told her that I thought she would feel the same way she did then if Jesus had been speaking and it was the Holy Ghost who helped her feel like it was Jesus speaking. I was so grateful for the reminder that children are not as far removed from our heavenly home as we are. I was also reminded that they can pick up on more than we often expect. It's amazing how one moment like this makes all the difficult and discouraging times feel completely worth it.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Trish,

Your post made me cry. Gabby truly must be a special little spirit. This will be a wonderful memory for you to share with Gabby when she is older.

PrincessKatie said...

I Love when stuff like that happens. I feel like a bad Mom and that I don't teach Hailey enough but she alwasy seems to amaze me with waht they know. I think they really soak up primary too and learn so much from going each week. How sweet of Gabby!

Dave said...

amazing. really.