Monday, June 8, 2009

Oquirrh Mountain Temple

One of my favorite things about living in Utah is easy access to so many temples. Here's a link that explains about temples for those who may not be familiar: http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/basic-beliefs/membership-in-christ-s-church/temples-and-family-history
In Little Rock, we went to the Memphis Temple which was a 3 hour drive one way. There are 3 open temples here in this valley alone, the furthest being 30 minutes away. The Oquirrh Mountain Temple is the 4th once it's dedicated in August. Before being dedicated, temples are open to the public. Gabby and I, the Torgersons, and the Baileys went on Saturday. Gabby was excited to go to the temple. I've explained to her that it's Jesus' house and we go to learn about Him and make promises with Him. Gabby only understood that it was His house and she was hoping to see Jesus. I told her there would be lots of pictures of Christ, but it was unlikely we would meet Him. She enjoyed seeing the beautiful paintings and was good on the tour. She didn't say too much about it when I asked her what she thought about it. She saved it for her prayer last night. Here it is as best I can quote it:
"Dear Heavenly Father, I love Jesus so much. I think He's sweet and handsome. Thank you for letting me see His house. I'm sorry He wasn't there, but I liked all the pictures. Thank you for helping me be a good girl. I love my mommy. I love my daddy. I love my toys. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
That is the longest prayer she's ever given on her own and it really touched my heart. I think going to a temple meant something to Gabby.

Me and Gabby after seeing the temple

Pam and me. The Torg's kids had reached their limit so we missed pictures with them.


Gabby and Madison seemed most impressed with the fountain.
I had the opportunity to volunteer for the Open House today. I took the day off work to volunteer from 11-4. I stood at the sealing rooms ushering people in and out only with a smile and extended hand. I really enjoyed myself. I was surprised how many people came through on a Monday afternoon. Even though my feet hurt at the end of the day and my tummy was growling, it's not often that I have 5 such peaceful hours. Temples are so quiet even with people touring it and I found much to occupy my mind.
Temples are built with the best material and craftmanship. They are magnificent on the inside and out. Admiration for the beauty of the building was written on almost every face I saw. I thought about all that I've learned by going to the temple. When I'm there, I admire the beauty and work that goes into such a building, but my thoughts are more often brought to admire the beauty and wonder of what God has done with His hands. I'm so grateful to know that there is such a divine purpose to this life, a plan for happiness. I wish more people could admire and see the beauty of life and God's plan as easily as they admire a beautifully constructed building. Even as hard and heartbreaking as life can be, knowing that there is a plan and purpose to it and what that plan entails makes life just happier day to day. Atleast for me.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I got to volunteer for the Nauvoo Open house. (In fact, I ran into Marji there.)

It was such a wonderful experience. I can't wait till the open house here in KC. Josh and Eli will be about Gabby's, and I can see it is a pretty cool experience.

Jennifer said...

I haven't had a chance to go to go to the open house yet, but I have ridden a bike past it at night and it it beautiful all lit up.