Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It Starts!

I must have gotten a little too comfortable. One of the many things that made last January so memorable was due to Gabby's many illnesses. I was just beginning to hope we'd make it through the month without her getting sick. No such luck as she has an ear infection. Luckily, she doesn't have a fever or anything else and should have a quick recovery.

Gabby ABHORS medicine of any kind. I think it goes back to the first year of her life. The first 4 months were very medically eventful and we spent a lot of time at the pediatricians, hospitals, and getting tests done. The less invasive and less expensive solution to one of her problems was to be on antibiotics for a year. She never grew accustomed to having medicine forced down her throat and still puts up a worthy fight whenever medicine of any sort is presented. Now, she's old enough that I can bribe, I mean, "reason" with her most the time. Well, her ear was hurting her and she was crying and crying. I had some ear drops that I got the OK to give her. I decided sneaking them in would be the best course as she flipped out when I shone a light in her ear. I managed to drop one drop in and held her down to get another in her ear. Gabby has quite a temper. She screamed, "Don't you touch me!" She ran upstairs to her room, slammed the door and howled until the drops did their work. It took another 10 minutes before she let me snuggle her and held my hair. I blame Utah's abysmal air quality. Gabby had never had an ear infection until her first winter here a year ago. My throat has a constant tickle and my eyes will burn. I never thought I'd say this, but I hope it snows to clear this up!

Gabby loves cheddar cheese sliced off the block. I was about to slice her some the other night when she told me she wanted the whole block. I was about to cut her a chunk off, but she was so offended I just gave her the block. It cracked me up watching her gnaw on it.
We're making progress in the naked department! This was 8pm and she was still clothed. She's staying clothed until bath or bedtime about half the time now! She still refuses to wear jammies, but at least she's staying clothed a bit longer now!


5 comments:

Jennifer Miller said...

Hey Trish, remember me? Your long lost roomie!! :o) I just wanted to let you know that I LOVE reading your blogs, they are always so funny! I have a blog too but its private so if you are ever interested just email me and I will add you to my approved list! Hope all is well!!! Gabby is hillarious!!

Bailey said...

I barely recognized Gabby with her clothes on. That is quite the accomplishment!

Jen said...

She sounds like a hoot and sooo much like my daughter! She's got a great personality! You're doing a great job.

Ambyr said...

I totally know how you feel about kids being sick. Austin got pnemonia last year because of the inversion so I've been keeping him inside as much as possible lately, I agree with you that I hope it snows soon!!! Austin hasn't hit the "naked" stage yet but I'm not looking forward to it so good luck with that! Gabby is not alone on the cheese issue, on any given day you can find Austin running around the house with a block of cheese as well.

Jon, Britt & the boys said...

Gabby cracks me up! I love the pic with the block of cheese.