Sunday, January 4, 2009

Gabby's First Primary Talk

Last week Gabby was given an assignment to talk in Primary on "I am spirit child of Heavenly Father" today. All week, I've been trying to explain to Gabby what that meant and she would need to tell the Primary about it. I found a story on it I tried over and over to read to her. Well, she had her own ideas. For a few days, she said she would tell them the story of Little Red Riding Hood. I would try to practice with her on what to say. I figured she'd like to do an object lesson so showed her our bodies are like gloves and our hands like our spirits. She'd get upset saying I should just wait for church and she'd tell the story then and she didn't want help.

Today was the big day. Gabby was really excited and couldn't wait for it to be her turn. Primary opening exercises are in the chapel so she got to speak at the pulpit. I honestly didn't know what to expect to come out of Gabby's mouth. I warned the leaders before hand that Gabby wanted to talk on her own and there was no telling what she would say. The following is quoting as closely as I can remember.

Gabby begins by pulling the microphone as close to her mouth as she can get it and says, "Well! Today I'm going to tell you a story. Okay? Once a upon a time (I'm standing next to her thinking, here comes Little Red Riding Hood) Baby Jesus was born. Well, Baby Jesus grew up to Jesus. He wanted to marry Mary (I do NOT teach her this, she came up with this when we were doing the Nativity with the Nevers on Christmas Eve for some unknown reason to me). Well, it was raining and snowing and they had to go inside." She's essentially shouting this into the microphone as well. So I have my face buried in my hands trying to stifle the laughter that just won't be suppressed. All the older kids in Primary are laughing hysterically. I feel tears coming out from trying so hard not to laugh. I begin whispering to Gabby what she should say about being a spirit child of Heavenly Father.

"I am a spirit child of Heavenly Father." I hand her glove and she starts putting it on. "Our bodies are like the glove and our spirits are like our hand." I'm trying to help her at this point. She whispers to me that she doesn't want my help and she has more stories to tell. I tell her she's done and to say amen. She says amen but keeps trying to talk. I don't even remember what she's saying at this point. I pull her away from the pulpit and have broken her heart. Gabby had the biggest tears rolling down her cheeks that she didn't get to tell more stories. It took a few minutes of consolation and time-out threats before she calmed down.

I can't get over her boldness and lack of fear of public speaking. Most kids get a bit intimidated when they actually have to speak, not my Gabby. I hope that this confidence will continue and won't be something she'll outgrow. I just need to figure out a appropriate way for her to outlet her love of the limelight.

So here's another cute thing she said today. Gabby is in the CTR 5 class now and was given a CTR ring. I picked her up and she showed me her ring saying, "Look Mommy, I have a ring so I'm an old grandma now!" I have no idea why she thinks having that ring makes her a grandma. I know my mom has a CTR ring, but I'm not sure if Gabby would remember that or not. So Gabby has got this year off to an entertaining start!

6 comments:

PrincessKatie said...

She was so cute in there. I was glad I got to be in there for a few mins to see her talk. She has such a bright personality I love how she said okay too!

Unknown said...

Classic Gabby! Thomas had no fear when he gave his talk either. He just went up there and took charge! Luckily he let me help him, his talk was on our bodies are special and he calls his bottom his body...can't wait to see ya'll in a few weeks!

jennifer rogers said...

very cute...gabby is a mess! Very funny thanks for sharing!

Kate said...

That is so funny, Trish! I love reading about the things Gabby says. She's so cute. :)

Bailey said...

I would have loved to hear her!! I think I would have been with the other kids laughing hysterically:)

Jen said...

That's a classic! I teach in primary and it is such a hoot to watch some kids get up there and be bold like Gabby and others want to cry into their mommy's shoulders. Way-ta-go Gabby! You did awesome. Thanks for the chuckles.