Sunday, January 11, 2009

A History and a MAJOR Purchase

Being 25 for 5 years running means that I've had a lot of different cars in my time. While grateful that I've always had some form of transportation since 16, I've never gone and picked out my own car. When I was 16, I was allowed use of the Cutlass Cruiser, a station wagon, or as I referred to it, the Crap Wagon. Naturally it had the faux wood paneling, it was a beaut! It actually had a bit of power. I never told my parents this, but I took it well over a 100 once on a back road just to see if I could.

After the Crap Wagon, Marji and I shared a Grand Am at BYU my freshman year. Now my family is cursed when it comes to cars. I'm dead serious about that. We never bought new cars, but whatever we bought was sure to have issues and fall apart. The Grand Am lasted about a year. I don't know what went wrong with it.

Then came the 89 Dodge Aries. That car was a piece of junk but I sure got all the use out of it possible. It literally went all over this country, from Arkansas to Utah, to Mexico, to Oregon, to Florida and everywhere else in between (with me at the wheel for the vast majority of those miles). My parents let me keep it after getting married and Nick and I put a hitch on that bad boy and pulled a trailer from Utah to Arkansas. It even pulled a couple of boats. There were a lot of good memories in that one. It had over 200,000 miles on it, was running on only 2 cylinders and someone bought it for $500. I'd see it around Little Rock after we sold it. It just kept going.

Then I had a Dodge Neon. I guess I helped pick it out and it was good little car for a while. Definitely a step up from the Aries. Unfortunately, I totaled it just after I had Gabby. Next we got my 92 Lexus ES300 4 years ago. That actually has been a pretty good car. Up until the last year. It's old and I put 70,000 miles on it in 4 years. It went all over the country as well. It ran okay, but things were starting to fall apart on it. The driver's side window broke so I've had to open my door or have Gabby make transactions at drive-throughs. I busted one of the sideview mirrors last winter and Gorilla-glued it back on. The antenna is busted and flapped around in the wind in the most pathetic way. At the end of the summer, it would overheat whenever I ran the a/c. On Christmas Eve, my key got stuck in the driver's side door and some how that broke the electric locks when I got it out. At that point, I decided I wasn't going to wait for another thing to go wrong on it. It was time for an upgrade.

The choices out there are daunting for one who's never had much say in what I've driven. I've taken what was given to me. I admit, a yellow Hummer caught me eye that I passed on my way to work everyday. Couldn't you just see me cruising around in that? Practicality won out and I bought a used 07 Honda Accord. I'm not that excited about a car payment, but I LOVE my new car. I went with a V6 as I like having a bit of power on the road, especially with the crazy Utah drivers. It's charcoal and has a sunroof; I used all the time in my Lexus. It drives like a dream and everything works on it which is a luxury to me these days!

I feel like I got a good deal on it. I was going back and forth with the manager hammering out a price. They finally got it down to where I wanted it, but I still couldn't quite say yes so i just sat there not saying a word staring at the sales manager for a few minutes. Part of it was a game as I was happy with the price, I just wanted to see what else he would say or do for my business. He jumps up without saying anything and walks off. My saleswoman, Toni, didn't have any idea why he walked off and I stayed silent. The dude walks back with 3 balloons and 6 red roses. It cracked me up and I shook his hand on the deal.


Me and my pretty new ride!
Gabby was with her dad all day yesterday and today. When I picked her up, she didn't have much to say about the new car. I asked her a few times on the way home and she'd just say, "I don't want to tell you." We get home and she says, "Mommy, I think we need the white car back. I don't like this one." I was a little offended but reminded myself Gabby doesn't like any kind of change. I'm thrilled with it!

9 comments:

gwen said...

It's beautiful~ Congratulations! I'm sure Gabby will learn to love it.

Melissa said...

Congrats! Wish I could get rid of my green mini-van!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kate said...

I cracked up when I read the part about the guy coming back in with balloons & roses! That's so funny.
Love your new car! Honda is definitely the way to go. I have the 07 CRV which is basically an Accord with the shell of an suv. Love it!

Bailey said...

You missed a car, the Acura that was wrecked by my house:) Its beautiful!! We want you around when we buy a car, we are the worst negotiators ever!!! I am glad you got to pick it out all by yourself! Have fun cruising for hotties in it!

Jen said...

Wahoo! Sweeeet! Sounds like you did good--or are you sure you didn't just show him your concealed weapon to get the price? :0). Can't wait to see it Thursday if you'll be at book club! BTW, my daughter likes Hummers too!

jennifer rogers said...

congrats on your new gorgeous car! I love hondas!! I remember too well the crap wagon and the "rollerskate"--that one was Pam and Jenny's they both tried to kill me in that thing! Pam hydroplaned on the highway going about 70 mph and Penny pulled right out of Burgerking and didn't even stop to look if anyone was coming and this man slammed righ into us....Gabe's fries went everywhere and he was not a very happy camper! Good old days you gotta love em!!

Jon, Britt & the boys said...

Love the new ride! That's awesome the sales manager gave you flowers! I remember when I was younger my parents traded in our old car and my sister and I just cried and cried. We didn't want to get rid of it! Kids are funny about things like that. Congrats on the fun new purchase!

stacey said...

yeah!! for new cars!! it looks fabulous. very nice to have a good reliable car!! smart woman.