Saturday, October 4, 2008

Time for a New Pet?

Gabby's fish Soapy was sent to a burial at sea a few months ago. She noticed that Soapy was gone, but being a bit of a coward, I told her she was visiting family. She seemed to have forgotten about Soapy for the most part and has been great being pet-free.

Yesterday, Gabby and I went on a bug catching adventure. Utah is not a great place to catch bugs. We were outside for a while and didn't see any bugs. Gabby gathered leaves and mushrooms in her bug-catching net instead. We came back in the house so Gabby could make soup. I was curious as to what she would come up with. She stripped out of her clothes, donned her hat and apron, and the Naked Chef began her magic.

She pushed a chair to the counter, got a pan out, put it on the stove and added the leaves, mushroom, and a rock. She then said she wanted to make egg drop soup. She discovered it last week in Arkansas. So she got the eggs out, and broke 2 in the pan (yes, i was a mere observer) and began stirring. She was quite intent on eating her creation. I literally tore the pan and spoon from her and threw it in the sink before she could taste it.

In the mean time, I noticed a fly buzzing in our house. I pointed it out to Gabby and she threw off the hat and apron, grabbed her net and hunted that fly down. I actually caught it between my fingers with my ninja-like reflexes and slightly disabled the fly and let it go. Gabby recaptured it a few moments later. The fly was trying to escape the net when Gabby terminally disabled it. She said, "There, now you'll never get away."

Little did I know that she had big plans for this fly. She scooped it out of the net and told me she needed a house for it. I gave her one of her plastic teacups. She then stated that her fly was hungry and needed some dinner, especially soup. I let her poor a little water in the cup. She added some crackers and M&M's. She wanted to give the fly salsa, peanut butter, and marshmallows, but I felt there had to be some limit. She talked to that fly and carried it around in that cup full of water, crackers, and M&M's the rest of the night.

I threw it all away this morning while I was cleaning. Of course she noticed and this fly is "visiting his family" now as well. She told me we needed to go to the pet store today to get a new pet. I think we'll be making that trip. A dead bug is just too pathetic of a pet!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! Yeah for Gabby being so brave with bugs! My girls take after me, I'm afraid. Well, most of the time anyway!

Bailey said...

Wow, never a dull moment with that girl!! She cracks me up.