Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pumpkins and Pets

Gabby is so excited for Halloween. She's been asking me every day if it's Halloween or Christmas yet. She seems to get that Halloween will be first. We had to get a pumpkin when we were at the grocery store the other day. I'm not too fancy with my Jack-o-lanterns and fortunately Gabby's not picky.
Gabby fine-tuned my drawing of the face before carving commenced. This pumpkin is already starting to rot so maybe I'll try a more elaborate carving on the next one.

Meet Sola and Soapy II. Sola is the white fish and Soapy the gold. We did go to the pet store on Saturday to make up for me throwing Gabby's dead bug away. Gabby picked out gold fish this time around. She wanted to name them both Soapy but I insisted on 2 different names and she came up with Sola. I was downstairs watching Conference on Sunday when I heard Gabby shrieking incoherently. I could just make out fish. I dash upstairs certain that she has overturned the tank or some other such disaster. Gabby is in hysterics. I manage to catch such words as, fish, hand, jumped, bed, gone. I go into Gabby's room and Soapy II is not in the tank. I look behind her bed and see her on the floor. I grab Soapy and quickly put her back in the tank. She immediately began swimming. She's still alive so I don't think she was irreparably harmed by falling behind the bed for a couple of minutes. It took a while for Gabby to calm down, she was pretty scared about harming Soapy.

Gabby and I share an interest in fish. I had fish while I was at BYU. Lynn bought an enormous tank from DI and we both became obsessed with fish. Our other roommates moved out mid-semester taking the tv so we would watch our fish instead for entertainment. My favorite was Wally. He looked like Sola. There was some kind of disease that wiped out all the other fish. Wally survived, but lost an eye so he would swim in circles and hit the side of the tank. It was quite endearing. My favorite game to play with the fish was "Ursula". For those of you not familiar with Little Mermaid, I would take a large spoon to "command and control" the sea as Ursula did. So I suppose it's not that surprising that Gabby tries to command and control her fish!


0 comments: