Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Living Single...

...can be incredibly interesting, but it's mostly boring. I love it though. I seriously love being single. I love being alone. It's not without its trials or annoyances in this couple-oriented world, but I've never been this consistently happy day after day. I love being in control of all aspects of my life and not having to answer or explain anything to anyone except those I choose. I just enjoy being me. I genuinely like who I am. I'm quite aware of my many flaws and faults but they're not nearly as troubling or overwhelming without anyone around to continually remind me of them.

I can't say that I necessarily love dating. I have dated. It's mostly the same as it was way back when other than it's harder to meet people and it involves copious amounts of texting. The biggest change for me is I don't really care if I'm liked or not. Before being divorced, I would care if a guy liked me even if I wasn't interested. Now even if I'm interested, I'm not at all bothered if the guy isn't. It actually makes more sense to me when there is a lack of interest. I get that. I don't always get why someone is interested in me. I'm working on not being quite so suspicious of men who are interested in me. I've come to terms with the fact that liking me does not make one crazy (though I'm sure there are many who would disagree). For a while, anytime I was complimented by a man, no matter his status, I attributed the compliment to either he was making fun of me or he pitied me. I sometimes still think that way.

I half-joke, but I'm half-serious that I'm dead inside. I hope that I'm not actually dead inside, that it's just a matter of the right spark to get me to care and want more. It's just so much easier to imagine my life with me never getting married again. It's so easy to imagine me being happy with that as well. I get the feeling though, that a lot of people just don't buy that. Some of my dear family and friends seem so eager for me to find someone, I think mostly because they think that will mean I'm really alright and I'll really be happy. I just don't feel like there is some great void by being single. I grew so accustomed to doing things on my own during my marriage and even more so over the last year, it would be a major adjustment to involve someone else in my life. It's just not that appealing to me now.

What I struggle with is that I'm not sure if me being single is what God wants for me or has planned for me. So I remain open to the possibility that I may be 'blessed' that way, but I live and plan my life as if I won't. I put myself out there as much as I can, but my heart's not all that into it. I have friends who were divorced and remarried within the year and it blows my mind. Many made that prediction for me. I wish I could say that I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not!

I feel so happy and blessed with my life now, it's hard to want much more. I have such great family and friends who I really love and enjoy. Being a mother to Gabby can be challenging, but it's so fulfilling. She is so full of love and affection. I'm so fortunate to have a good job to meet our needs and many of our wants. So for me, living single has been fantastic!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Good for you!

Julie said...

I am so glad you are happy! My mom and my sister are both very happy being single. I think it has a lot to do with what type of relationship they were in before.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your honest blog post and for sharing your thoughts. I am one of those annoying friends who I confess would love to see you married, but IF and only IF he will continually remind you of all of your fabulous qualities! Gabby is lucky to have such a strong mama! Happy mother's day, Trish!

jennifer rogers said...

trish,
you are and always have been a great example of a strong woman for me. I am so happy that you are truly happy, for years we could all tell that you weren't as happy as you deserved to be and now it's like the "old" trish is back.....good for you! I just wish your first experience of marriage would've been with someone who knew what a good catch you were and that he would've treated you with the love and respect that you deserve! I love ya!

Trish said...

Thanks y'all! I'm a bit choked up now.
Julie, a lot of it does have a lot to do with how my relationship was, there are definitely much worse things than being alone.
Lara, no way are you annoying! I think those who want me to find happiness in marriage are just so happy in their own marriages and want me to have the same joy.
JP, I'm glad it shows I'm happy now. Love ya too!

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

This was a good, honest post. Thanks for sharing.

Danielle said...

I work with a woman in Primary who was a single mom for three years. She told me that when she remarried (a really great man - our bishop), she was let down. When I laughed and asked her why, she said that it had been a neat experience to be on her own, and be everything for her two children - parent, provider, etc. It was hard for her to share that again.