Monday, May 18, 2009

Gabby's Solution

While I was putting Gabby to bed tonight, she requested I surprise her with a stuffed animal from her playroom. I grabbed her penguin from the top of the toy box and brought it to her. She was excited for her penguin and gave him the name of Orange Beak as he hadn't yet been named. She preceded to have an interesting discussion with Orange Beak about his inability to fly. Orange Beak's voice is slightly deeper than Gabby's. It went something like this:


Orange Beak: Oh, Gabby I wish I could fly!


Gabby: Well, you're a penguin and penguins can't fly. Penguins are really good swimmers. Don't you want to swim?

Orange Beak: Well, swimming is OK, but I really want to fly!

Gabby: I have an idea, you can dream about flying! You should go to sleep and dream about flying.

Orange Beak: But I want to really fly!

Gabby: Well, it will be great for you to fly in your dreams. You'll like it. Penguins can only swim so you'll just have to dream about flying.

Orange Beak: Well, I guess I can try that.

Me: OK, it's time for prayers.

Gabby: Orange Beak will say his prayer first. Make sure you say it right Orange Beak. You have to be good to have good dreams about flying, OK?

Orange Beak: Dear Heavenly Father, I love my Gabby and Trish, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Gabby: That was a nice prayer, now it's my turn. Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for my mommy, thank you for my penguin, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. Oh no! Mommy, I didn't say it right. He's not penguin, he's Orange Beak.

Gabby said the prayer again with Orange Beak's name. Gabby then instructed me to pray with the admonition that I pray for Orange Beak.

Gabby and Orange Beak
I'm eager to find out if Orange Beak was able to dream about flying and if he found Gabby's solution acceptable by the morning. This made me so nostaligic for the lengthy discussions I used to have with my dolls and stuffed animals!

5 comments:

Dave said...

Awesome. I wish all the luck in the world to Orange Beak. Perhaps you could suggest skydiving as a flying substitute?

Kellie said...

She is so funny! I bet you are entertained all day long :) I love orange beak, very creative!

Jen said...

Aren't kids so funny and creative? If only we had such creativity now that we're older. She's a keeper.

Unknown said...

Love this! Gabby has the cutest little (or, maybe I should say BIG) personality! Thanks for sharing this sweet story!!

You have such a gift for writing, Trish! I wish I were better with words. I love reading your blog posts.

Jen T. said...

Oh Gabby! She is quite hilarious!! By the way I keep forgetting to tell you that I saw a Ruby stuffed animal at Barnes and Nobles. I know you and Gabs have been looking for one!