Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Early Mother’s Day Gifts and a Breakthrough!

001

Gabby has been bringing home some early Mother’s Day Gifts for me.  I like the necklace and wore it for the evening when she gave it to me last week. The brown thing to the right is a dried up bean pod.  Gabby told me she found it for me and it could be a maraca. I shook it said, “Wow Gabby! That is really special.  Thank you.” Gabby’s reply, “Mommy, I don’t think you really like it. You don’t really think that it’s special. I can tell by how you said that.” I immediately began shaking the maraca and dancing to make sure she knew I was happy about any gift she gave me. 

Inwardly, I was thrilled. For those of you who know Gabby and attempt to use sarcasm with her, you know that she has formerly had no ear for it. She is very literal and deliberate with her words and wants everyone else to be so.  Jenny gets the brunt of it as she uses the most sarcasm and exaggeration with Gabby.  I think she’s finally understanding sarcasm.  I guess that’s not the best skill, but in my family it’s really a necessity.  Now to just get her to understand the humor behind sarcasm. At least there’s some progress!

1 comments:

Jen T. said...

Gabby really has come a long way with sarcasm!! She even laughs sometimes at our comments to her...sometimes!:) It is a skill that is definitely needed in our family and we are glad she is joining the club!:) Very cute necklace too!