Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The No Sugar Contest

Some of my co-workers decided to have a no sugar contest. Everyone who participates gives $20 to a pot, the last one standing gets the money. Well, 2nd and 3rd place get their $20 back. I am a candy junky! I have quite the sweet tooth. At work, I have drawer solely devoted to candy and treats that I munch on all day. I also I have candy jar. I'd been contemplating cutting out some of my sugar intake and this contest seemed like a good time and the kick in the butt I needed. There are 14 of us competing. The contest began on Monday. Natural sugars in fruit and such are ok; basically it's all the junk that's cut out.

Here's a picture of some of my uneaten stash. It calls my name every evening! The times I most crave sugar are after lunch and dinner. I made quite the habit of having something sweet after meals. I just love candy! I love desserts! I'm a total stress eater, too. Especially chocolate. I really wanted some chocolate this afternoon! This is a good challenge for me. I gave up sugar once before about 6 years ago and I think I made it 2 weeks. The other hard part is Gabby. I'm accustomed to sampling a bite of the treats I give her without thinking about it. I'm on Day 3 now and I find that I'd rather not eat or snack if it's not sweet so I may even drop a few pounds depending on how long I go! One colleague is already out, so I only have 12 more to beat!
I thought I'd offer a contest to my dear followers. Put your guess as to how long I'll make it without sugar in a comment. If you live in the area, I'll make you a pie or cheesecake (I've been told I make delicious ones!) . If you don't, I'll figure something sweet to send you! If I win, I'm keeping the money for me! Honestly, I have no idea how long this can go on or what would cause me to succumb to temptation. The co-workers not doing the contest rather enjoy tempting us with delicious banned treats. If I'm the last gal standing, I'll probably end up treating myself to some Coldstone goodness. Mmmm, ice cream. Sigh!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I made it 13 days. I called it two weeks, but it was tough. You are way more competitive than me, so I bet you make it longer than anyone else!! Does that count as a time frame? LOL. Here's a tip. Eat oranges w/almonds or other nuts. It really helps my sugar craving! Good Luck.

Marcie Kump said...

You can totally beat everyone else! Mind over matter. :)

Mama Yo said...

From what I've heard from you on FB about your basketball games and such, I take it you are a VERY competitive person!

You're goin all the way lady!

And you can just mail me that bag of Cadbury mini's because I can't find them anywhere in town! ;)

Melissa said...

Good luck! Yesterday I tried to eat a bagel, but it tasted awful so I ate a donut instead. My supervisor saw me and said, "are you eating a donut? I thought you were going to eat a bagel." I told her why. She said my pregnancy taste buds are in full force. I agree. I could never give up sugar at a time like this...I mean, the baby wants it right?

Ambyr said...

You are stronger than me. I could never give up sugar even though I really don't have much of a sweet tooth. I do have cravings though and I always give in. I give you a total of 11 days! I will be very proud of you if you do make it to the end however!

Dave said...

i bet you can make it 28 days, even if the rest of your co-workers wimp out before then!

stacey said...

that is such a good idea! i may join you...after easter!

Jen said...

You can do it Trish! I know you can! What a great contest. I have a feeling you'll take the whole kaboodle!

Trish said...

Wow, y'all are too nice! I figured at least 1 person would bet on my sweet tooth beating out my competetive streak really soon. I'm still holding strong at the end of Day 4. I've discovered my sense of smell for sweet things is incredibly sharpened. Gabby tried to force feed me some Trix. I ran and hid!